Life Events

If You Divorce

If you divorce either before or after you begin receiving your Individual Account Plan benefit, you and your former spouse may agree, as part of a property settlement agreement, to assign a portion of your Individual Account to your former spouse. Under federal law, the Plan can only honor a domestic relations order assigning your benefit to your spouse, former spouse or children if that order is a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). Under the terms of a QDRO, all or a portion of your Individual Account or rights to survivor benefits can be assigned for purposes of paying alimony or child support, or be assigned as marital property rights of your spouse, former spouse, child or other dependent. You may obtain a copy of the Fund’s QDRO procedures from the Fund Office at no charge. Additional information concerning QDROs is available through the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employee Benefit Security Administration (EBSA). For more information, see

If you are married on your effective date of benefits and begin receiving your benefit as a 50% Spousal Annuity or as a 75% Optional Spousal Annuity, you will not be permitted to change such benefit form if you divorce anytime after your effective date.


to verify and maintain your beneficiary designation on file with the Fund Office!